Righteous thoughts, but we need to make change together, in community
[The Earth Pledge below is good, but I see two problems with it. First of all, it’s absolutist (so it lacks empathy and compassion for people as they really are). And then: it’s too individualistic. It’s just too hard and too inconsequential to personally sacrifice to such an extent, presumably having in mind that billions of others will do likewise and the world will change in consequence. Rather, better: We need to make change together, in community (and with compassion).]
The Earth Pledge
Out of love for the Earth and all of its creatures, and my respect for their needs, from this day onwards I pledge that:
1. I will listen deeply to children.
2. I will not travel by plane.
3. I will not travel by car.
4. I will not eat meat and fish.
5. I will only eat organically/biodynamically grown food.
6. I will minimize the amount of fresh water I use, including by minimizing my ownership and use of electronic devices.
7. I will not buy rainforest timber.
8. I will not buy or use single-use plastic, such as bags, bottles, containers, cups, and straws.
9. I will not use banks, superannuation (pension) funds or insurance companies that provide any service to corporations involved in fossil fuels, nuclear power, and/or weapons.
10. I will not accept employment from, or invest in, any organization that supports or participates in the exploitation of fellow human beings or profits from killing and/or destruction of the biosphere.
11. I will not get news from the corporate media (mainstream newspapers, television, radio, Google, Facebook, Twitter…).
12. I will make the effort to learn a skill, such as food gardening or sewing, that makes me more self-reliant.
13. I will gently encourage my family and friends to consider signing this pledge.